Jennifer Smith, Professional Photographer

Pure, genuine still life photos as well as food photography all done by yours truly!

Sep 22, 2010

Mexican Chicken with Easy Spanish Rice

I love using my Crock Pot. I haven't been using it a lot lately because I am at a loss for things to put in it that my husband and I both will like. We got tired of the same old food put in it until I came across this recipe for Mexican Chicken. It is simply divine!


Mexican Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, sliced
1 - 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 - 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles (it makes it quite spicy.
You could just use regular Rotel without the chiles for less heat)
2 Tablespoon taco seasoning packet
1 - 8 ounce package Velveeta cheese (could use Mexican style also)

Place chicken, onion, soup, tomatoes and taco seasoning into Crock Pot. Cover; cook on Low 6-8 hours or High 4-5 hours. Uncover and break up chicken. Add Velveeta and cook on High until melted.

This recipe is GREAT! My husband and I both love it. A word to the wise; do NOT lift the lid on the Crock Pot while the chicken is cooking. Just let it go for the specified time. It will not need stirring. Remember: each time you lift the lid it adds 20 minutes to your cooking time. It called to serve the chicken over spaghetti or linguine but my husband doesn't care for pasta so I made an easy Spanish Rice instead. Here is that recipe:

Easy Spanish Rice
1 Tablespoon oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups rice (not 5 minute but good old fashioned long cooking white rice)
1 cup salsa
2 cups beef broth

Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, just until it is tender. Add rice and stir, just until rice begins to look shiny. Stir in salsa and beef broth. Cover and cook 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes before removing lid. Fluff with fork.

I don't know how the Mexican Chicken tastes on pasta but I don't think I will even try it that way. It was that good over the rice. Take it from me, I can cook just about anything but ALWAYS burn my rice. This rice recipe is so easy and it never fails, even to this chef who can never cook rice correctly.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment