Jennifer Smith, Professional Photographer

Pure, genuine still life photos as well as food photography all done by yours truly!

Nov 30, 2010

Mock Wing Stop Chicken Wings and Fries

I have been missing the conveniences of the States lately. Malls, road trips and especially the food. I just can't seem to get into the food they eat in England. There is a lot of Indian cuisine and I especially cannot stand the Chinese food! It's much different than Chinese food in the States. So tonight, I decided to try to copy the mild and hickory smoked bbq wings that my DH and I used to order at Wing Stop in Colorado ALL the time. Instead of deep frying the wings and fries, I baked them. Both turned out fabulous but I was not able to copy the recipe for the fries. They just don't taste the same! So here is the recipe for the wings:

Marinated Oven Fried Chicken Wings


2 pounds chicken wings (about 12 wings) cut into 2 pieces, tip discarded
2 cloves sliced garlic
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all together in resealable zip top bag. Refrigerate and marinade 30 minutes to 4 hours (no longer).
Once wings are done marinating, take out of bag and pat dry. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with no stick spray. Arrange wings on sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn wings over and bake 20 minutes longer.

Mild Wing Sauce


1/2 cup Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1 clove minced garlic

Melt butter in small pan just until bubbling. Add garlic. Cook on low heat (do NOT let garlic brown!) for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in wing sauce. Once wings are out of the oven, pat dry and toss in mixed sauce. Serve.

Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce


1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce (or similar smoky BBQ sauce)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
2 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)

Mix all together. Once wings are out of the oven, pat dry and toss in mixed sauce. Serve.

The Mild Sauce really is a bit more spicy than a true mild sauce but I like my wings spicy. My DH thought they were too spicy so didn't actually get to enjoy them with me. So word to the wise; if you don't like spicy sauce, add more butter to the hot sauce, or use less sauce. Equal parts sauce to butter will make it less spicy. Anyways, the wings turned out so crispy baking them and both sauces were very close to the sauce they use at Wing Stop. If only I could get them to give me the recipe for the seasoning they use on their fries...

No comments:

Post a Comment